It’s time to create a soothing nighttime self-care routine
Today’s blog post is all about self-care. You’ll learn how to develop a nurturing self-care evening routine to help you end the day on a positive note.
As the day winds down, it’s critical to take a breather, relax, and recharge before going to bed. This not only promotes good sleep and rejuvenation, but it also makes us feel refreshed and ready to face the day ahead.
In this post, I’ll offer some pointers on how to create a relaxing evening routine. So, grab a cup of tea, put your feet up, and let’s embark on this self-care adventure together!
Why is having an evening self-care routine important?
A self-care evening routine is essential because it allows us to relax and de-stress after a long day. This, in turn, promotes better sleep and overall physical and mental health. Here are a few key advantages to developing a self-care bedtime routine:
• Improved sleep quality. A calming routine can help relax both your mind and body. This results in better sleep and more restful nights.
• Improved mood. Self-care can help you feel happier and more relaxed by releasing feel-good endorphins.
• Increased mindfulness. Taking time to focus on self-care helps you become more aware of your needs and feelings. This can lead to greater self-awareness.
• Less stress. Nightly self-care activities reduce stress and promote relaxation, resulting in better mental health.
• Increased self-awareness. Focusing on yourself can help you become more mindful and in tune with your needs. This leads to better self-care practices.
• Stronger immune system. Relaxation and stress relief can also benefit your immune system, allowing you to stay healthy and avoid illness.
This post may contain affiliate links. That means that if you click on a link and purchase something I recommend, I will receive a small commission at no extra cost to you.
Now let’s talk about how to have the best self-care night
1. Spend time outside in nature
Spending time in nature can help with relaxation and well-being. Connecting with the environment and experiencing nature provides a sense of calm and perspective. A good example would be going for a 10-minute walk in a nearby park or sitting on your balcony and stargazing.
2. Make plans for the next day
Preparing for the following day can help you feel more in control and reduce stress. Consider making a to-do list, laying out your clothes, or packing your bag for the next day. You can start the next day feeling more prepared and confident if you get organized and plan ahead.
Here’s a life and goal planner that will make a huge difference in goal-setting and achieving your goals.
RELATED: You can live a simple life once you declutter and organize your home
Writing in a journal is another aspect of a self-care evening routine. Journaling about your day and processing emotions can be therapeutic. It also promotes mental well-being.
By writing down your thoughts and feelings, you can gain clarity and insight into your emotions and experiences. This leads to better mental health and self-awareness.
Here’s a day and night reflection journal that helps you commit to your self-care routine.
Before going to bed, spend 10–15 minutes reflecting on your day and writing down your thoughts and feelings in a journal. You could also tell a trusted friend or family member about your day.
RELATED: New year journal prompts to help you do some new year reflection
4. Practice gratitude
Another important aspect of a self-care night is practicing gratitude. Taking the time to recognize and appreciate the good things in your life can boost your mood and outlook. You can cultivate a positive mindset and boost your happiness by reflecting on things you are grateful for.
For example, every day, I write down 3-5 things I’m grateful for, such as good health, a supportive friend, or a warm home.
Here’s a one-minute gratitude journal that’s just super simple to use. Practicing gratitude has never been easier!
5. Don’t forget about compassionate self-talk
Positive self-talk can help you improve your self-esteem and mood. Consider devoting a few minutes to writing down positive affirmations or positive self-statements that you can repeat to yourself at the end of the day.
6. Practice yoga or stretching
Gentle yoga or stretching are also excellent ways to promote physical and mental relaxation. Gentle physical activity, such as yoga or stretching, can help to release muscle tension and improve posture. This results in relaxation and well-being.
For example, before going to bed, try a few gentle stretches like neck rotations, shoulder rolls, and hip twists.
7. Mindful coloring or drawing
A creative activity, such as coloring or drawing, can help you relax and relieve stress. Consider using a mindfulness coloring book like this one or drawing your own drawings to focus on the present moment and release any pent-up stress.
8. Bathe or take a shower
A self-care evening routine is a time set aside to focus on your own well-being and take part in activities that promote relaxation. Take a warm bath or a shower. Warm water can relieve muscle tension and promote relaxation, allowing you to relax and unwind after a long day.
To create a relaxing spa-like atmosphere, fill a bathtub with warm water, add Epsom salts or organic essential oils, and light a few lavender-vanilla scented candles.
RELATED: Here’s my self-care shower routine that I personally swear by
9. Treat yourself
Activities that bring you joy and relaxation can help you improve your mood and promote feelings of happiness. A self-care night routine can include a variety of skin-care and body-pampering activities that will help you relax. Here are some ideas for a skin care and body pampering routine:
• To remove dirt, oil, and makeup, thoroughly cleanse your face with a gentle cleanser like this one.
• Exfoliate your skin to remove dead skin cells and improve the texture of your skin.
• Apply a hydrating face mask to your skin to hydrate and nourish it.
• Use a witch hazel toner to balance the pH of your skin and prepare it for moisturizer.
• Moisturize your face and body to keep your skin hydrated and protected.
• Use a brown sugar body scrub in the shower or bath to exfoliate and improve circulation.
• Apply body lotion to exfoliate and improve circulation.
• Relax and relieve tension in your face and neck by using a warm towel.
Whatever you do, don’t be afraid to pamper yourself. Self-care can help you relax and improve your physical and emotional well-being. For instance, before going to bed, I like to give myself a face massage with my pink jade roller. This is my favorite part of the day.
10. Make yourself a hot beverage
Making a warm drink, such as tea or hot cocoa, can help soothe and relax you before bed. I enjoy drinking herbal tea. A cup of herbal tea can help relax both your mind and body. You can also try chamomile, lavender, or valerian root, which are known for their calming properties.
11. Dim the lights
One of really good self-care night routine ideas is to dim the lights in your home. Lowering the lights can help create a calm and peaceful environment. This encourages relaxation and a sense of calm.
This is especially beneficial before bedtime because it helps prepare your body and mind for sleep. To create a relaxing atmosphere, use calming candles like this one or a Himalayan salt lamp with a light dimmer.
Aromatherapy with essential oils can help to create a relaxing and calming environment. Diffuse essential oils such as lavender or chamomile, which are known for their calming properties. You can also use a scented candle or lavender room spray. The fragrance can help you unwind and relax.
13. Listen to soothing music or white noise
Listening to relaxing music or white noise is an important part of my self-care night routine. Calming sounds help create a relaxing environment. They also distract you from stress and other distractions, allowing you to fully focus on your own well-being.
To help you fall asleep, play some soft instrumental music or a white noise track. You can also listen to natural sounds such as rain or waves. If you’re looking for something fancier, you might like this affordable white noise machine with natural soothing sounds.
14. Read a book or engage in a hobby
Doing something enjoyable can help to distract you from your stress and improve your focus and concentration. To unwind before bed, pick up a book you’ve been meaning to read.
Reading can help you escape the stresses of daily life. It also improves your focus and concentration, and expands your imagination.
Personally, I’ve been reading these practical manifestation books lately.
RELATED: 33 very effective yet manageable habits of successful people
15. Try relaxation techniques
Relaxing your mind and body for a few minutes can help reduce stress and improve sleep quality. Deep breathing exercises, guided meditation, or progressive muscle relaxation are all options.
• You can relieve physical tension and promote relaxation by focusing on each muscle group and tensing and relaxing them one by one.
• Find a quiet spot to sit, close your eyes, and concentrate on your breathing, counting each inhalation and exhalation.
• Guided meditation can help you relax and concentrate on the present moment. Use a guided meditation app or recording, or go to a guided meditation class. To promote relaxation and better sleep, focus on your breath and let go of any thoughts or worries.
• Guided visualization entails imagining a desired outcome or a peaceful scene. You can, for example, sit quietly, focus on your breathing, and visualize a peaceful scene to help relieve any tension.
Consider listening to a guided visualization exercise to help you relax and feel calm. I also really like this Breathing Buddha for guided visual meditation.
RELATED: Practical techniques that I use to calm down my anxiety
These were my favorite self-care evening routine ideas, for sure
By incorporating these self-care night ideas into your nightly routine, you can create a peaceful and relaxing environment that promotes relaxation and well-being while also ensuring that you get a good night’s sleep.
As a result, your overall health and happiness will improve. This allows you to begin each day feeling refreshed and rejuvenated. Experiment with different activities to see what works best for you.
What are your favorite things to do on a self-care night?
7 thoughts on “How to Have a Soothing Self-Care Evening Routine”
Love this!!! Practicing good sleep hygiene is so important for our overall health and these tips are great.
Great ideas! It can be a challenge to unwind before bed! I love journaling before going to sleep, even if just for a few minutes.
That’s a great idea my routine needs to get better
This is a great reminder! I was happy to see I was implementing a lot of these tips. I’m going to try and keep it up.
So many great tips here. I already do a couple of things you have on the list but I’m going to add a few more. Thanks!
I could probably add some of these to my routine. The idea to plan for the next day could be helpful, as I’m always forgetting to plan dinner until the last minute.