Let’s talk about what to write when bored, aka creative writing prompts
This blog post talks about unique and fun things to write when bored.
Journaling is like a hidden garden within the pages of your diary.
Every day, you water it with your thoughts and emotions, watching it grow and thrive. The petals of self-awareness take shape, and the branches of self-discovery grow tall. Stress and pain’s thorns are chopped down, leaving only beauty and growth.
Your journal is a safe haven where you can be completely yourself and dive deep into the depths of your soul. It’s a look into the past, a look into the present, and a roadmap for the future. It reflects who you are and reminds you of who you want to be.
A journal is more than just a collection of words. It’s a story about your life, a work of art created by your own hands. It’s like a soothing balm for the soul, healing wounds and giving you the confidence to face whatever challenges come your way.
Why should you constantly look for cool things to write about in a journal?
Writing in a journal has lots of benefits, including:
Improved writing skills. Writing on a daily basis helps you improve your writing skills and express yourself more clearly and effectively. Journaling is one of my favorite ideas for boredom, for sure.
Consistency. Journaling every day helps you establish a routine and create the habit of journaling.
A sense of accomplishment. Tracking your thoughts and experiences gives you a sense of accomplishment and purpose.
Tracking progress. You can keep track of your progress over time by writing every day. This is particularly useful for tracking personal development, goal-setting, and self-improvement.
Increased self-awareness. Writing about your thoughts, feelings, and experiences helps you understand yourself and your motivations better.
If you’re looking for something interesting, stay with me. Now it’s time to get your creative juices flowing.
This post may contain affiliate links. That means that if you click on a link and purchase something I recommend, I will receive a small commission at no extra cost to you.
Now I’m going to show you fun and unique things to write about when bored
- A time capsule entry. Writing a “time capsule” entry helps you record your thoughts and feelings at a specific time. You can include information about current events, personal experiences, and future predictions.
- Lyrics. Write down your favorite song lyrics that resonate with you. This serves as a source of inspiration.
- A poem written from an object’s perspective. It’s among the most unique things to write when bored, for sure. Write a poem from the point of view of an object, such as a tree, a building, or a rock. It helps you experiment with various perspectives and engage your imagination.
- A habit tracker. Using a habit tracker is an easy way to track your daily routines and habits, identify areas for improvement, and track your progress. Here are 177 habit tracker ideas to give you some inspiration to get started. Here’s my favorite habit tracker that’s also very affordable. It really helps me stay on track with my activities and daily routines.
- A found poem. You can make a “found poem” when you take words, phrases, or lines from found materials. These materials could be newspapers, signs, or letters. Then rearrange them to form a poem. It’s a unique way to make poetry and an excellent way to reuse materials.
- A philosophical thought. Write down your thoughts on a philosophical question or issue. This helps you explore your beliefs and gain a better understanding of the world around you.
- A collection of random thoughts and ramblings. The most intriguing journal entries are sometimes the ones that are completely unplanned and unstructured. Allow yourself to jot down whatever comes to mind. It helps you connect with your subconscious and examine your own feelings and thoughts.
- A rap or a song. Writing a song or rap is a creative and fun way to express yourself and your emotions. Even if you don’t consider yourself a musician, giving it a shot can be a fun way to experiment with words and rhythms.
- A letter addressed to a public figure. Write a letter to a public figure. Express your thoughts, feelings, or opinions on a topic that’s important to you. This is an excellent way to make your voice heard.
- A letter from the future. Write a letter from the future. It helps you reflect on your current thoughts, feelings, and goals. It also helps you imagine how your life might change in the future. Here’s a simple yet affordable empty lined notebook that I feel everyone uses.
- A personal experience or conversation that has recently happened. Reflect on your experiences and conversations. It provides valuable insights into your own thoughts, feelings, and behaviors. It’s one of the best creative things to write in a journal when you’re bored because it can also help identify patterns or themes in your life.
- A description of a recent dream you had. Dreams can be interesting and mysterious. Write down your dream descriptions. It helps you explore and interpret your subconscious thoughts and feelings. If you want to analyze your dreams more thoroughly, here’s a dream journal that won’t break the bank.
- Your feelings and thoughts on a current event or news story. Keeping a journal helps you process and make sense of what’s going on in your life. Write about a current event or news story. It can help you engage with the problem and understand various points of view.
- Create a poem. Write a poem in your journal. It’s a fun method for expressing yourself and strengthening your writing skills.
- A food diary. Keep a food diary. It helps you track your nutrition and identify patterns or changes in your eating habits. If you want to up your game, here’s a food diary that includes literally everything that you might need on your journey.
- A weather diary. Keeping a weather log is a simple way to document environmental changes. It also helps you reflect on how the weather affects you, your mood, and your everyday activities.
- Mindfulness practice. Use your journal to keep track of your mindfulness practices, such as meditation, and to reflect on how they affect your well-being.
- A gratitude list. Make a list of things you’re thankful for. It helps you appreciate the good in your life and develop a sense of happiness. Here’s a list of 100 beautiful things to be thankful for. Here’s my favorite gratitude journal that requires only a few minutes of your day. Practicing gratitude has never been that easy!
- A mind map. Are you still looking for ideas for what to write about when you’re bored? Create a mind map. Mind mapping is an effective tool for idea generation and organization. Making a mind map in your journal is a creative way to explore a topic or idea and generate fresh thoughts and connections.
- A letter to yourself in the future. Writing a letter to your future self is a great way to reflect on your current thoughts, feelings, and goals. It also helps you see how you’ve changed and developed over time.
- A fictitious letter. Write a letter to a real person or a fictional character. This is a fun way to learn about different points of view and express your feelings and thoughts.
- Construct a vision board. Create a vision board in your journal. Cut out pictures and quotes that motivate you. This is a wonderful way to visualize your dreams and goals. Here’s a vision board kit if you need some inspiration.
- Your long-term goals and ambitions. Write down your goals and dreams. It helps you identify and focus on what you want to accomplish. It also serves as a reminder to stay motivated and on track. If you need some motivation, here are over 150 good monthly goals that you can set right now. Here’s my favorite life and goal planner, which includes almost 200 life-changing pages!
- A short story or scene that is made up. Writing fiction can be a fun way to exercise your imagination and explore new characters and ideas to write about. Even if you don’t consider yourself a writer, giving fiction writing a shot is a fun way to express yourself creatively and escape into another world.
- An advice letter to your younger self. Write a letter of advice to your younger self. It’s a good way to reflect on the lessons you’ve learned and the wisdom you’ve gained.
- A journal entry from another time or culture. Write a journal entry from another era or culture. It’s one of those creative things that helps you learn about history and explore different points of view. You can choose a historical figure or a fictional character and try to put yourself in their shoes.
- Daily feelings and thoughts. Write down your thoughts and feelings about the day—what went well, what went poorly, and how you feel in general. Here’s a mood tracker to help you understand your emotional patterns and create a healthier mindset.
- A unique story or poem. Write fiction or poetry. This is among the very best things to write when bored because it’s a rewarding and enjoyable way to express your creativity and imagination. Even if you don’t consider yourself a “writer,” giving it a shot can be an excellent way to exercise your creative writing.
- Map your thoughts. Create visual diagrams in your journal to organize information and ideas. This helps you understand complex topics, brainstorm new ideas, and plan projects.
- Memories. Write down your memories of past events. It’s a fun way to reflect on your past.
- A book or film review. Write a review of a book or film you’ve recently read or seen. It could be your favorite book or your favorite movie as well. It’s an effective way to reflect on your thoughts and feelings about the plot and your favorite characters.
- Analyze a current problem. Write down your thoughts and feelings about a current issue you’re dealing with. This is a great way to work through the problem and find solutions.
- A sketch or drawing. Draw or sketch in your journal. It’s a relaxing and enjoyable way to express yourself creatively. Here’s a 120-page sketchbook with blank pages.
- A list of activities or places you want to visit. Creating a bucket list or a travel journal is a fun way to plan future adventures and experiences. This is one of my favorite lists to make when bored.
- A quote or a saying that speaks to you. Keep a collection of quotes or sayings that have resonated with you. It helps you reflect on your thoughts and feelings while also gaining inspiration and motivation.
- A recipe for a made-up dish. Write a recipe for a dish that doesn’t exist yet. It’s a creative and fun way to use your imagination and experiment with new flavors and ingredients. Here’s an empty recipe book if you want to create your very own cookbook.
- A personal manifesto. Make a list of your life’s values, principles, and beliefs. This is an excellent way to understand yourself and identify your purpose. It’s also among the really good lists to make when bored.
- A travel journal. If you’re unable to travel physically, use your journal to write about a place you want to visit or a place you have visited before. This is also among the best things to write when bored because it’s a fun way to learn about new cultures and places.
- A hypothetical situation. Write a “what-if” scenario. It’s a fun way to explore various possibilities and imagine possible results. Write about what would’ve happened if a current event, a personal experience, or a historical event had gone differently.
- Setting goals. Writing down your goals and dreams helps you clarify and focus on what you want to accomplish. It also serves as a reminder to stay motivated and on track. Here’s a deluxe daily planner that will help you achieve whatever you set your mind to.
- An interview with a historical figure. Imagine yourself in a conversation with a historical figure. You can choose a figure you admire or one with whom you disagree.
- A stream of thoughts. Write in your journal whatever comes to mind. This is a fun way to let your thoughts flow freely and explore your mind.
- Things that bring you joy. Make a list of things that make you happy. This is a great way to focus on the positive aspects of your life.
- A screenplay for a film or play. Writing a script for a film or play is a fun method for exploring your own stories and characters. Even if you have no intention of producing the script, writing it is a great way to express yourself creatively and stretch your imagination.
- A rejected pitch. This is one of those very random things to write about for fun. Writing a “rejected pitch” is a fun way to experiment with different scenarios and writing ideas. Choose a topic or a project and write a pitch as if you were trying to sell it to someone. Then imagine it was rejected, and write about what went wrong and how you would improve it.
- A list of your current favorites, including movies, books, music, and foods. This is a fun and simple way to keep track of your current preferences and interests. It can also be interesting to revisit old favorites to see how they have evolved over time.
- To-do list for the day. Make a list of the tasks you want to complete for the day. This will help you stay on track and productive. Here’s a colorful to-do list that will help you stay on top of everything.
- Write about a family member who has had a positive impact on your life. Think about a family member who has made a difference in your life, whether it’s a parent, sibling, grandparent, or cousin. Write about their influence and how they have helped shape who you are today.
- Describe what it feels like to stare at a blank page. Whether you’re a writer, artist, or musician, we all know the feeling of staring at a blank page or canvas. Write about the emotions and thoughts that go through your mind when faced with the challenge of creating something from nothing.
- Share your best ways for overcoming writer’s block. As a writer, you may experience writer’s block from time to time. Write about your go-to methods for breaking through the block and getting back to writing.
- Write about a time when your best friend came through for you. Everyone needs a friend they can count on. Write about a time when your best friend was there for you when you needed them the most.
- Discuss the impact of social media on society. Social media has changed the way we communicate and interact with each other. Write about the positive and negative effects of social media on society.
- Write about your favorite sport and why you love it. Whether you’re a die-hard fan or just enjoy watching from the sidelines, write about your favorite sport and what draws you to it.
- Create a character sketch of the main character in your favorite book. If you’re an avid reader, you probably have a favorite book with a memorable main character. Write a character sketch of that character, including their personality traits, backstory, and motivations.
- Write about your favorite thing in your bedroom and why it’s important to you. Your bedroom is your personal space, and there’s probably something in it that you cherish. Write about your favorite thing in your bedroom and why it’s special to you.
- Invent a new holiday and describe how it would be celebrated. Let your imagination run wild and create a new holiday that celebrates something you’re passionate about. Write about the traditions and customs associated with the holiday and how people would celebrate it.
- Share your favorite card game and why you enjoy playing it. Whether it’s a classic game like poker or a more obscure game like Exploding Kittens, write about your favorite card game and what makes it so enjoyable to play.
- Share your tips for creating engaging blog posts. If you’re a blogger or aspiring writer, share your strategies for crafting posts that grab your readers’ attention and keep them coming back for more.
- Write about the first time you tried something new. Think back to a time when you stepped outside your comfort zone and tried something new. Describe the experience and how it made you feel.
- Share what you would do differently next time. We all make mistakes, but it’s important to learn from them. Write about a time when you wish you had done something differently and what you would do differently next time.
- Write a review of your favorite TV show. Whether it’s a drama, sitcom, or reality show, write a review of your favorite TV show, including what you love about it and what makes it worth watching.
- Discuss the power of the subconscious mind. Our subconscious minds are responsible for many of our thoughts, feelings, and behaviors. Write about the power of the subconscious mind and how it influences our daily lives.
- Share your favorite foods and why you love them. This is among the fun things to write when bored, for sure. Food is one of life’s great pleasures. Write about your favorite foods and what makes them so delicious and enjoyable to eat.
- Write about the first thing you do every morning. For many people, the first thing they do in the morning sets the tone for the rest of the day. Write about the first thing you do every morning and why it’s important to you.
- Share your strategies for coming up with great ideas. Whether you’re a writer, artist, or entrepreneur, coming up with great ideas is essential for success. Write about your strategies for generating innovative ideas that stand out from the crowd.
- Discuss why it’s essential to have a good idea list. Whether you’re a creative professional or simply someone who enjoys brainstorming, having a list of ideas can be a valuable resource. Write about why it’s crucial to maintain a good idea list and how to get started.
- Write about a random act of kindness you witnessed or performed. Kindness is a powerful force that can make a real difference in someone’s life. Write about a random act of kindness that you witnessed or performed and how it made you feel.
- Describe how you like to spend your free time. Whether it’s reading, hiking, or binge-watching your favorite TV show, describe how you like to unwind and recharge in your free time.
- Write about an interesting encounter you had at the grocery store. The grocery store can be a surprisingly eventful place. Write about a funny or memorable encounter you had while shopping for groceries.
- Share your earliest memory. We all have memories from our earliest years. Write about your earliest memory and what it means to you.
- Use a random object as a jumping-off point for a story. Choose a random object, like a paperclip or a pen, and use it as the jumping-off point for a story. Let your imagination take over and see where the story takes you.
- Write about a journey to a new planet. Imagine a future where space travel is routine and humans have colonized other planets. Write about a journey to a new planet and the challenges and discoveries that await the crew.
- Describe a slow day and how you spent it. We all have days when we don’t have much on our schedules. Write about a slow day and how you spent your time.
- Share your favorite planning prompts. Whether you use a paper planner or a digital app, planning can be a powerful tool for productivity and organization. Write about your favorite planning prompts and how they help you stay on track.
- Write about a favorite board game and why you love it. Board games are a great way to spend time with friends and family. Write about a favorite board game and what makes it so much fun to play.
- Describe a memorable dance party you attended. Whether it was a school dance or a wedding reception, write about a dance party that stands out in your memory and why it was so much fun.
- Share your grocery list and the meals you plan to make. Meal planning can be a great way to save time and money. Write about your grocery list and the meals you plan to make, including any recipes or tips you have to share. Here’s a grocery list that you can buy to make your life easier.
- Share a book idea that you’ve been thinking about. If you’re looking for things to write down when bored, this is a cool idea. Do you have an idea for a book that you’ve been wanting to write? Share your idea and what inspired you to come up with it.
- Write about the last time you felt truly inspired. Inspiration can come from many sources, whether it’s a beautiful sunset or a moving piece of music. Write about the last time you felt truly inspired and what sparked that feeling.
- Create a fictional story about an average person who does something extraordinary. We often think of heroes as larger-than-life figures, but ordinary people can do extraordinary things too. Write a story about an average person who does something remarkable.
- Describe your ideal lazy day. Sometimes we all need a day to relax and recharge. Write about your ideal lazy day and what you would do to make the most of it.
- Write about the challenges that a person might face. Life is full of challenges, and everyone faces them in their own way. Write about the challenges that an average person might face and how they might overcome them.
- Share your first draft of a writing project. Every writer starts somewhere, and the first draft is often far from perfect. Share your first draft of a writing project and any insights you gained from the process.
- Write a news article about a recent event or trend. Current events can be a great source of inspiration for writing. Write a news article about a recent event or trend that interests you.
- Describe a memorable experience with a younger sibling. Siblings can have a significant impact on our lives, whether we’re the older or younger one. Write about a memorable experience you had with a younger sibling and what it meant to you.
- Write about the unique strengths and challenges of being an older sibling. Being an older sibling comes with its own set of challenges and rewards. Write about the unique strengths and challenges of being the older sibling in a family.
- Share different ways to experience new things. Trying new things can be scary, but it can also be incredibly rewarding. Write about different ways to experience new things and how to overcome the fear of the unknown.
- Write about the importance of doing things your own way. We all have our own unique ways of doing things, and it’s important to embrace that. Write about why it’s important to do things your own way and the benefits that can come from it.
- Describe a safe place that brings you comfort. We all have places where we feel safe and secure. Write about a place that brings you comfort and why it’s so important to you.
- Share different ways to approach a problem. There are many ways to approach a problem, and sometimes it takes some creativity to find the best solution. Write about different ways to approach a problem and the benefits of thinking outside the box.
- Create a great story with an unexpected twist. The best stories are often the ones that keep you guessing until the very end. Write a story with an unexpected twist that will leave your readers surprised and delighted.
- Write about the excitement of trying new things. Trying new things can be scary, but it can also be incredibly exhilarating. Write about the excitement of trying new things and the benefits that come from stepping outside your comfort zone.
- Write about random topics using short notes. So you’re looking for things to write when you’re bored. Sometimes, the best way to get your creative juices flowing is just to jot down whatever comes to mind. Write about random topics using short notes and see where your imagination takes you.
- Imagine being stranded on a desert island and write about how you would survive. Being stranded on a desert island is a classic scenario for writers. Write about how you would survive in this situation and the challenges you would face.
- Share your favorite memory and why it’s so special. We all have memories that stick with us for a lifetime. Write about your favorite memory and why it’s so special to you.
- Create an easy reference guide for a complicated task. Some tasks can be complicated and overwhelming. Write an easy reference guide to help others navigate a complicated task and make it more manageable.
- Write about your experience in high school and what you learned from it. High school can be a challenging time for many people, but it’s also a time of growth and self-discovery. Write about your experience in high school and the lessons you learned that have stayed with you.
- Write about your favorite places to go and what you love about them. We all have places that hold special meaning to us. Write about your favorite places and why they’re so special to you.
- Share a glimpse of your daily life. Everyone’s daily life is unique in its own way. Write about a day in your life and what makes it special or different from others.
- Describe your living room and the memories it holds. Our homes are where we make memories and build our lives. Write about your living room and the memories it holds for you.
- Write a book review of your favorite book. Sharing your thoughts on a great book is a great way to help others discover new stories. Write a book review of your favorite book and explain why you think others should read it.
- Share your favorite music and what it means to you. Music can be a powerful force in our lives, inspiring us and lifting us up. Write about your favorite music and what it means to you.
- Write a story about a mysterious object and the journey to uncover its secrets. There’s something intriguing about a mysterious object and the stories that can come from uncovering its secrets. Write a story about a mysterious object and the journey to uncover its mysteries.
- Imagine going back in time and writing a diary entry about your experience. This is among great ideas for boredom. Time travel is a classic theme in science fiction, and it can be fun to imagine what it would be like to travel back in time. Write a diary entry about your experience going back in time and what you learned.
- Write a diary entry about a particularly memorable day in your life. Our lives are made up of a series of moments, some more memorable than others. Write a diary entry about a particularly memorable day in your life and what made it stand out.
Aren’t these the best random things to write when bored at home?
Journaling every day can help you prioritize your mental and emotional well-being as well as your personal growth. How often do you journal? What do you journal about? What do you do for fun when you’re bored? I’d love to hear your thoughts!
I’m a personal growth and self-care expert, as well as an avid motorcycle enthusiast and coffee and sweets lover. Through Lauraconteuse, I provide insightful and practical advice on topics such as self-care, self-love, personal growth, and productivity, drawing from my very own extensive experience and knowledge in the field. My blog has helped countless people achieve their goals and live more fulfilling lives, and my goal is to continue to inspire and empower others.