Let’s talk about what to do when you have a bad mental health day
This blog post will discuss what to do when you’re having a bad mental health day, otherwise known as the best mental health day ideas. They’re all related to self-care.
What is self-care?
Self-care means looking after your physical, mental, and emotional well-being. You should nurture your mind, body, and soul.
This should be something that comes naturally, but today’s society is really fast-paced, and you might not always have time for it.
When you’re having a bad day, all you want to do is stay in bed and avoid all contact. I’m a naturally anxious person, so I’m really familiar with that.
However, I’ve learned that staying in bed and avoiding all contact doesn’t solve the problem.
Needless to say, my mental health has taken a huge toll recently. To keep my spirits high, I try to do at least one thing that’s good for my soul and mind every day.
Now I’ll share with you a list of self-care suggestions that have helped me stay mentally healthy on my bad days.
You don’t have to do all of them to feel good. You can print this list out or write down your favorite activities so that every time you’re having a bad mental health day, you have something to do that cheers you up.
You might also like: 20 toxic habits to quit for an instantly improved life
This post may contain affiliate links. That means that if you click on a link and purchase something I recommend, I will receive a small commission at no extra cost to you.
Self-care ideas for bad mental health days
- Sit by the pool, on the beach, or on the balcony and read a book from this list.
- Get your hair done.
- Come up with a daily or weekly schedule to increase your productivity.
- Schedule a spa day.
- Watch the clouds or the stars.
- Take a slow nature walk.
- Watch positive TED Talks.
- Buy take-out food as a treat.
- Plant some flowers or other plants.
- Go somewhere pretty and take pictures.
- Spend time with someone you care about.
- Make a donation to a good cause.
- Turn on some rainforest, rain, ocean, or white noise sounds.
- Take a warm shower using these self-care shower ideas.
- Meditate and practice breathing techniques.
- Play a fun game with your loved ones.
- Organize your wardrobe.
- Visit the gym.
- Visualize your ideal future and manifest it.
- Get a massage.
- Find some new music to listen to.
- Forgive yourself and others.
- Drink plenty of water.
- Have a movie marathon.
- Make a vacation plan.
- Take a drive while listening to your favorite music.
- Go somewhere where you can just watch people.
- For increased blood flow and self-massage, use a foam roller.
- Remind yourself that you are loved.
- Write down your goals.
- Decorate your home with photos of loved ones.
- Borrow a book from the library and read it.
- Grab a cup of coffee as a treat.
- Go on a date with yourself. Here are some fun self-date ideas.
- Make your bed in the morning.
- Step out of your comfort zone and try something new or something you’re afraid of.
- Hug and cuddle your pet.
- Take yourself to see a movie.
- Journal using these journal ideas for self-improvement.
- Purchase a new houseplant.
You might also like: The best self-care day ideas to help you relax today
- Eat your favorite comfort food.
- Making a self-care kit is also a good idea if you’re wondering what to do when you have a bad mental health day.
- Start a nighttime routine like this one.
- Practice gratitude.
- Visit an escape room.
- Visit your friends and watch a movie with them.
- Allow yourself to sleep in.
- Don’t forget to check in with yourself.
- Take vitamins.
- Write a letter or a creative story.
- Read some inspirational quotes about knowing yourself.
- Make plans to meet up with your best friend.
- Read or write poetry.
- Visit the beach.
- Call someone you care about.
- Plan a family night.
- Make a playlist with your favorite music.
- Learn a new card or board game.
- Relax by listening to soothing music. This is one of the cheapest yet most effective ways if you’re looking for ideas for when you’re having a bad mental health day.
- Take a bike ride.
- Visit your favorite spot.
- Solve a puzzle or sudoku.
- Put clean clothes on.
- Get yourself coloring books for adults.
- Bake or make a dish you’ve never tried before.
- Go on a date night.
- Make a list of things you want to accomplish.
- Get rid of some old photos, screenshots, or files from your phone or your computer.
- Practice divine feminine affirmations.
- Take a self-care bubble bath.
- Take a trip on the spur of the moment.
- Turn on some music and throw a dance party.
- Surround yourself with people who are positive.
- Pick a good book to read.
- Make a fancy cocktail or a cup of coffee for yourself.
- Hike in the woods.
- Buy yourself a new outfit. Thrift stores are full of potential fashionable pieces.
- Get some natural light.
- Eat breakfast in bed.
- Spend some time outdoors.
- Make a list of goals for the coming week.
- Hug someone.
- Change your sheets.
- Go for a swim.
- Unfollow or unfriend people on social media who don’t make you happy.
- Visit your favorite store.
- Treat yourself to a facial, a massage, or any other appointment.
- Open your windows and blinds, and let some light in.
- Take some lovely pictures of yourself. You’re beautiful.
- Speak with someone about your worries.
- Dance along to your favorite tunes.
- Create a gratitude list. Here’s an A to Z gratitude list to give you some ideas.
- Take a day trip.
- Exercise. I really like these resistance bands for my workouts.
- Reflect on your achievements.
- Do some research. We, as humans, are curious beings.
- Create a mood board or a vision board book.
- Go shopping by yourself.
- Unplug for the entire day. This means at least a 24-hour break from social media.
- Do something you enjoy.
- Make yourself a compliment jar.
- Make a worry list to help you get things off your chest.
- Go on a picnic.
- Get dressed up for the day and do your makeup and hair.
- Get rid of some of the clutter in your home.
- Listen to a self-help or motivational podcast.
- Make a bucket list of things to do.
- Go outside and listen to the birds.
- Practice yoga. This is also one of the easiest ideas if you’re wondering what you should try to do while having a bad mental health day.
- Make a list of the characteristics you admire in yourself.
- Watch a show that makes you feel good.
- Use your phone to play a game.
- Get creative with art.
- Use a weighted blanket to sleep.
- Use essential oils to relieve stress.
You might also like: Self-care tips for empaths to help you cope with stress
- Do something kind for someone else.
- Prepare your favorite meal.
- Make a bucket list for the coming year.
- Experiment with a new hairstyle.
- Sing along to your favorite song at the top of your lungs.
- Remove yourself from toxic or negative relationships.
- Pick up a new skill. The internet is full of free tutorials.
- Make a video call to a family member.
- Consume healthy foods.
- Light a candle that smells good.
- Meditating in the shower is also among some great mental health day ideas. Imagine that the water is washing away all your worries.
- Read some jokes.
- Watch the sunrise or the sunset.
- Clean and declutter your home.
- Spend time with someone who motivates you.
- Enjoy a creative work of art. These options include theaters, museums, etc.
- Give yourself a new manicure or pedicure.
- Make your room more interesting with some unique wall art.
- Play a video game.
- Do something that makes you laugh.
- Try a DIY project from Pinterest.
- Look through old photographs.
- Do something creative.
- Sign up to volunteer at a shelter.
- Start a morning routine like this one.
- Write a letter to yourself in the future.
- Go for a long drive.
- Discover a new city.
- Make a list of your favorite motivational sayings and affirmations.
- If possible, taking a day off from work is a good idea.
- Send someone a surprise card or a handwritten letter.
- Write down what’s on your mind.
- Rearrange the furniture in your living room, bedrooms, and so on.
- Don’t get dressed for the day and stay in your pajamas.
- Try something new.
- Buy your favorite flowers for yourself.
- Read magazines.
- Watch a movie that makes you happy.
- Watch a documentary that’s educational.
- Take a nap.
You might also like: 30-day personal growth challenge to turn a new page in life
These were the ideas I use whenever I’m having a bad mental health day
I’m a personal growth and self-care expert, as well as an avid motorcycle enthusiast and coffee and sweets lover. Through Lauraconteuse, I provide insightful and practical advice on topics such as self-care, self-love, personal growth, and productivity, drawing from my very own extensive experience and knowledge in the field. My blog has helped countless people achieve their goals and live more fulfilling lives, and my goal is to continue to inspire and empower others.