100 awesome December journal prompts to inspire you
December is here! And you know what that means—it’s time for some December writing prompts! Can you believe how swiftly this year has flown by?
As we approach the end of this journey around the sun, I’ve been reflecting on personal growth and the beautiful paths we’ve traversed.
So, I’ve crafted a special set of December writing prompts to help us delve into our inner selves, discover more about who we are, and infuse a bit of inspiration into our lives.
This post may contain affiliate links. That means that if you click on a link and purchase something I recommend, I will receive a small commission at no extra cost to you.
20 goal-setting journal ideas for December
- Outline three achievable goals for the remainder of the year.
- Reflect on lessons learned and set intentions based on those insights.
- Brainstorm specific steps to take toward a larger, long-term goal.
- Identify one habit you want to establish before the new year.
- Set a small, joyful goal to accomplish before December ends.
- Define your priorities for the upcoming month.
- List three things you’re letting go of to make space for new goals.
- Break down a big goal into smaller, more manageable tasks.
- Choose a personal development book to read and set a reading goal.
- Reflect on your strengths and how you can leverage them to achieve your goals.
You might also like: I highly suggest you try these April writing prompts next year
- Plan a reward for yourself once you achieve a specific goal.
- Define your definition of success for the upcoming year.
- Identify potential challenges and create strategies to overcome them.
- Set a goal for daily self-reflection or mindfulness practice.
- Explore a new skill you’d like to develop and set milestones.
- Set a goal related to giving back or contributing to your community.
- Choose a word or mantra to guide your actions in the coming month.
- Reflect on your career and set professional goals for the next year.
- Set a goal to nurture a specific relationship in your life.
- Create a vision board with images representing your goals.
20 goal-setting journal ideas for the new year
- Craft a vision statement for the upcoming year.
- Set SMART goals for different areas of your life (e.g., health, career, relationships).
- Reflect on what success means to you in the new year.
- Choose a theme for the year and set goals aligned with that theme.
- Identify habits to break or adopt for personal growth.
- List books or courses to explore for self-improvement.
- Set a financial goal and outline steps to achieve it.
- Define your dream travel destination and plan steps to get there.
- Create a timeline for your major goals throughout the year.
- Set self-love goals and find ways to prioritize your well-being.
You might also like: These winter writing prompts will absolutely change your life this year
- Reflect on your career path and set professional development goals.
- Choose a fitness goal and outline your workout routine.
- Set a goal to learn a new hobby or skill.
- Outline steps to strengthen your existing relationships.
- Set a goal for giving back to your community or a cause you care about.
- Define boundaries to maintain work-life balance.
- Reflect on your spiritual or mindfulness goals for the year.
- Set a goal for personal organization and decluttering.
- Outline steps to improve your mental health throughout the year.
- Define a goal related to personal creativity or expression.
20 December writing prompts to reflect on the past year
- What were the highlights of this year for you?
- Share a significant life lesson you learned in the past year.
- How have you grown emotionally and mentally?
- Reflect on a challenge you overcame and how it shaped you.
- List three things you’re proud of accomplishing this year.
- Describe a moment that brought you pure joy in the past year.
- How have your priorities shifted over the past 12 months?
- Write a letter to your past self at the beginning of the year.
- What was your favorite memory from each season?
- How did you handle stress and setbacks this year?
You might also like: Use these end-of-year prompts to prepare for the next year
- List the books, movies, or music that left an impact on you.
- Reflect on the new friendships or connections you made.
- How did you take care of your physical health this year?
- Share a goal you achieved and the journey to success.
- Describe a place you visited that left a lasting impression.
- What habits did you develop that enhanced your well-being?
- Write about a moment of personal revelation or self-discovery.
- How did you maintain work-life balance throughout the year?
- Reflect on a decision that changed the course of your year.
- What are you grateful for as you approach the new year?
20 self-care and self-love journal prompts for December
- List three things you love about yourself.
- Describe your ideal self-care day and make plans to implement it.
- Write a love letter to yourself, highlighting your strengths.
- What small acts of self-love can you incorporate daily?
- Reflect on the achievements that make you proud of yourself.
- Identify a boundary you need to establish for your well-being.
- List activities that bring you peace and relaxation.
- Write down affirmations to boost your self-esteem.
- Share a challenging situation you navigated with self-compassion.
- What is a guilty pleasure that brings you joy, and why?
You might also like: My favorite November writing prompts that you should try as well
- List the people who uplift and support you in your life.
- Create a self-love playlist with your favorite songs.
- Reflect on a time when you prioritized your needs over others‘.
- Write about a moment when you felt completely at ease.
- List three things you forgive yourself for this year.
- Describe the qualities you admire most about yourself.
- How do you practice gratitude for your body and its capabilities?
- Create a self-care plan for the upcoming month.
- What boundaries do you need to set with others to prioritize yourself?
- Share a positive affirmation to carry with you into the new year.
20 personal growth-related December writing prompts
- How have your beliefs and values evolved this year?
- Reflect on a situation that challenged your perspective.
- Write about a goal that pushed you out of your comfort zone.
- List three skills you developed or honed in the past year.
- Describe a person who inspired your personal growth.
- Share a moment when you embraced vulnerability.
- How do you handle setbacks and turn them into opportunities?
- Reflect on a habit you cultivated for positive change.
- Write about a book or podcast that influenced your thinking.
- What fears did you conquer in the past 12 months?
- Describe a time when you took initiative and led a situation.
- How do you seek feedback for continuous improvement?
- Share a personal mantra that guided you through challenges.
- Reflect on the balance between solitude and social connections.
- List your personal growth goals for the upcoming year.
- Write about a mentor or role model who impacted your journey.
- How do you prioritize ongoing learning in your life?
- Share a personal ritual that enhances your well-being.
- Reflect on a time when you turned a setback into a success.
- Describe the person you aspire to become in the future.
Why should I journal in December?
Reflect on the year
December invites us to look back on the past 11 months. Journaling provides a space to reminisce about the highs, navigate the lows, and celebrate the growth you’ve experienced.
Set intentions for the new year
There’s something special about starting a new chapter, and December is the perfect time to set intentions for the upcoming year.
Use your journal to articulate your goals, aspirations, and the person you want to become.
Capture holiday magic
Whether you celebrate holidays or not, December often brings a sense of magic.
Documenting your experiences, festive moments, and the joy around you can create a treasure trove of memories to revisit in the years to come.
This month, take a moment each day to jot down the things you’re grateful for.
It’s a powerful practice that can shift your perspective and cultivate a positive mindset, setting the tone for a joyful holiday season.
Navigate winter blues
The winter months can sometimes bring a touch of the blues.
Journaling allows you to explore your emotions, understand any challenges you may be facing, and find strategies to bring warmth and light into your life.
Connect with your inner self
Amidst the hustle and bustle, December offers a chance to connect with your inner self.
Journaling provides a quiet sanctuary where you can explore your thoughts, dreams, and desires, fostering a deeper understanding of who you are.
Will you use any of these December writing prompts?
I’m a personal growth and self-care expert, as well as an avid motorcycle enthusiast and coffee and sweets lover. Through Lauraconteuse, I provide insightful and practical advice on topics such as self-care, self-love, personal growth, and productivity, drawing from my very own extensive experience and knowledge in the field. My blog has helped countless people achieve their goals and live more fulfilling lives, and my goal is to continue to inspire and empower others.