Let’s talk about ways to show yourself love, aka self-love 101
Yes, let’s talk about self-love 101.
Are you sick and tired of feeling insecure? Do you constantly criticize yourself or compare yourself to others? If this is the case, it may be time to start practicing some self-love.
If you’re reading this, chances are you’re looking for ways to love yourself again and accept yourself more.
Well, I’ve got some good news for you: the journey of self-love is an ongoing one.
The first step is simply acknowledging that you deserve your own unconditional love just as much as anyone else.
In this post, we’ll go over the fundamentals of self-love and provide some practical tips for incorporating it into your daily life.
I’ll cover everything you need to know to start loving yourself more fully, from simple acts of self-care to more profound shifts in your mindset and habits.
So grab a cup of tea, settle in, and prepare to discover the transformative power of self-love with the help of these 101 ways to practice self-love.
FAQ: What is self-love 101?
Treating yourself with kindness, compassion, and acceptance is the essence of self-love. It’s about recognizing your own worth and value as a person, flaws and all.
It’s about prioritizing your own needs and desires in the same way you would those of someone you care deeply about.
When you practice self-love, you’re consciously attempting to be your own best friend. You speak to yourself with kindness and avoid harsh self-criticism or negative self-talk.
When you give yourself love, you also take care of your physical, emotional, and mental well-being by getting enough rest, eating nutritious foods, engaging in enjoyable activities, and seeking help when needed.
Now let’s move on to self-love 101. I will show you how to practice self-love every single day.
This post may contain affiliate links. That means that if you click on a link and purchase something I recommend, I will receive a small commission at no extra cost to you.
101 ways to love yourself
- Practice gratitude. Take some time every day to reflect on the things you’re grateful for, even during a difficult time. This can help shift your mindset to one of abundance and positivity. Here’s my favorite one-minute gratitude journal.
- Volunteer. Volunteer your time and talents for a cause that’s important to you. This can help you feel more fulfilled and connected to your community.
- Practice self-compassion. Be kind and gentle with yourself, especially during difficult times or when you make mistakes. Remember that you’re doing the best you can, and it’s okay to ask for help when you need it.
- Say no. Learn to say no to things that don’t serve you or align with your values. Prioritize your own needs and well-being. This can help you feel more empowered and in control of your life.
- Embrace your uniqueness. Celebrate the things that make you different from others, and own your quirks.
- Dance it out. Put on your favorite music and dance like nobody’s watching. Dancing is a great way to boost your mood.
- Celebrate your accomplishments. Take time to acknowledge and celebrate your achievements, no matter how small. This can help boost your confidence and sense of self-worth.
- Take a technology break. Disconnect from your phone, computer, and other devices for a few hours or a whole day to recharge and connect with yourself.
- Practice positive self-talk. Replace negative self-talk with positive affirmations. When you catch yourself thinking negative thoughts about yourself, try to reframe them in a more positive light. For example, instead of saying, “I’m not good enough,” try saying, “I’m doing the best I can.” This can help you shift your mindset and focus on your strengths.
- Practice mindfulness. Take some time every day to simply sit, breathe, and observe your thoughts without judgment. This can help you feel more grounded and present in the moment.
You might also like: Learn how to finally fall in love with taking care of yourself
- Learn something new about yourself. Take a personality quiz, go to therapy, or try a new self-discovery activity. This can help you learn more about yourself and your strengths. Here’s my favorite self-love workbook, which changed the way I saw myself.
- Listen to your intuition. Trust your gut feelings and listen to your intuition. This can help you make decisions that align with your true self.
- Take care of your physical health. This is the most important thing when it comes to self-love 101. Eat healthy foods, exercise regularly, and prioritize your physical health. This can help you feel more energized and confident. When you feel good physically, it can have a positive impact on your emotional health and self-esteem.
- Spend time alone. Take some time to be alone and connect with yourself. This can help you recharge and reflect on what’s important to you.
- Seek support when you need it. If you’re struggling with mental health issues or simply feeling overwhelmed, don’t be afraid to reach out for help. Talking to a therapist or a trusted friend can be a great way to get the support you need.
- Indulge in self-care rituals. Create a weekly or daily routine of self-care practices that make you feel good, like taking a bath or reading a book.
- Treat yourself to something special. Whether it’s a new book, a massage, or a piece of jewelry, find a way to treat yourself to something that makes you happy.
- Practice self-acceptance. Embrace your flaws and imperfections, and remember that they make you unique and special. This can help you feel more confident and self-assured.
- Do something creative. Engage in a creative activity, like drawing, writing, or playing music. This can help you tap into your inner creativity and express yourself in a unique way.
- Practice self-reflection. Reflect on your thoughts and emotions, and journal about what you discover. This can help you gain insight into your inner world. Here are some monthly reflection questions that you can ask yourself every month.
- Take a mental health day. Take a day off work or other obligations to focus on your mental health, whether it’s going to therapy, taking a yoga class, or simply relaxing.
- Practice positive self-love affirmations. Affirmations are positive statements in the present tense that will help you get rid of your limiting beliefs. Speak kindly to yourself by repeating positive phrases like “I am enough” or “I am capable.”
- Surround yourself with positivity. Surround yourself with positive people, inspirational quotes, or uplifting music. This can help you stay motivated and optimistic.
- Cultivate a growth mindset. Cultivate a growth mindset by viewing challenges as opportunities for learning and growth. Here’s a growth mindset workbook that I personally love and swear by.
- Set achievable goals. Break down big goals into smaller, more manageable steps to make progress and build confidence. This gives you direction and motivation toward the things you want to accomplish.
- Create a calming space. Designate a space in your home that feels calming and soothing to you. Fill it with things that make you feel happy and relaxed, like candles, plants, or soft Sherpa fleece blankets.
- Learn a new skill. Take a class or pick up a new hobby that you’ve been interested in. This can help boost your confidence and give you a sense of accomplishment.
- Express yourself. Share your thoughts and feelings with someone you trust or through a creative outlet.
- Buy yourself a small gift every now and then. Treat yourself to something you’ve been wanting for a long time.
- Schedule “me time.” Set aside time each week for yourself, whether it’s taking a long bath or reading a book. This can help you recharge and prioritize your own needs.
You might also like: These self-love habits helped me change my life in just one year
- Indulge in a guilty pleasure. Indulge in something you love, like eating your favorite food or binge-watching a TV show. This can help you enjoy life’s simple pleasures.
- To practice self-love 101, learn to say “I love you” to yourself. Remind yourself of your worth and speak kindly to yourself.
- Improve your listening skills. Practice active listening in your relationships to build deeper connections and understanding.
- Don’t be afraid to ask for feedback. Seek out constructive feedback from trusted friends or mentors to identify areas for improvement.
- Move your body. Find a form of exercise or movement that you enjoy, whether it’s yoga, dancing, or simply taking a walk outside. Exercise can help improve your overall well-being.
- Give yourself a break. Rest and take a break when you need it, without feeling guilt or shame. This can help you avoid burnout and exhaustion.
- Create a vision board. Visualize your dreams and goals by creating a vision board filled with images and quotes that inspire you. This can help you stay focused and motivated.
- Connect with loved ones. Spend time with people who uplift and support you. This can help you feel more connected and loved.
- Practice meditation. Spend a few minutes each day focusing on your breath and clearing your mind.
- Practice forgiveness. Forgive yourself and others for past mistakes. Remember that everyone makes mistakes, and it’s okay to be kind to yourself. This can help you let go of negative emotions and move forward. Use these forgiveness journal prompts for that.
- Try a new form of exercise. Mix up your workout routine by trying a new form of exercise, like yoga, kickboxing, or swimming. This can help you feel more motivated and energized.
- Educate yourself. Read personal growth books and listen to podcasts to learn from experts in the field.
- Watch a funny movie or TV show. Laughing is great for your mental health.
- Learn to say “yes” to yourself. Prioritize your own needs and desires, and learn to say “yes” to the things that make you happy and fulfilled.
- Express gratitude. Take time to appreciate the things you have and express gratitude for them, as this can help shift your mindset to a more positive one.
- Try something new. Step out of your comfort zone and try something you’ve always wanted to do, like painting, rock climbing, or learning a new language.
- Take a relaxing bath. Fill up the tub with warm water, add some bubbles or essential oils, and soak for as long as you like. Taking a self-care bath can be a great way to unwind and soothe sore muscles.
- Declutter your space. Clear out any physical clutter in your home or workspace. This can help you feel more organized and focused.
- Set healthy boundaries. Identify and communicate your personal boundaries to others. This can help you feel more in control and respected.
- Learn to meditate. Meditation can help you reduce stress, increase self-awareness, and improve your well-being. Here’s a breathing Buddha that I use while meditating.
You might also like: Try my 30-day self-confidence challenge to appreciate yourself
- Invest in yourself. Take courses, attend workshops, or read books to invest in your personal growth and development.
- Connect with nature. Spend time outside in nature, whether it’s taking a hike, going for a swim, or just sitting in a park. This can help you feel more grounded and connected.
- Take a break from social media. If social media is making you feel stressed or overwhelmed, disconnect from social media for a few days or limit your time on it. This can help you feel more present and connected to the real world.
- Eat nourishing foods. Treat your body to foods that make you feel good, like fruits, vegetables, and whole grains. This can help boost your energy and mood.
- Take care of your appearance. Dress up or do your hair and makeup just for yourself to boost your confidence and self-esteem.
- Get enough sleep. Make sure you’re getting at least 7-8 hours of sleep each night to help your body and mind feel rested and rejuvenated. These hacks will help you get better sleep every night.
- Talk to yourself like someone you love. Treating yourself the same way you would treat others is really important.
- Listen to your body. Pay attention to what your body is telling you and give it what it needs, whether it’s rest, nourishment, or movement.
- Spend time with animals. Connect with animals, whether it’s your own pet or spending time at a local animal shelter. This can be a great way to reduce stress and boost your mood.
- Take a digital detox. Unplug from technology for a day or a weekend and focus on being present in the moment. This can help you feel more connected to yourself and the world around you.
- Taking yourself on a date is an important part of self-love 101. Treat yourself to a solo date doing something you enjoy, like seeing a movie or trying a new restaurant. This can help you enjoy your own company and feel independent.
- Let go of perfectionism. Recognize that nobody is perfect, and embrace your flaws as part of what makes you unique.
- Practice deep breathing. Take a few minutes each day to practice deep breathing exercises. This promotes relaxation.
- Create a gratitude journal. Write down the things you’re grateful for each day, no matter how small they may seem.
- Learn to accept compliments. Don’t downplay or dismiss compliments from others. Accept compliments graciously, and believe in the positive things others say about you. This can help boost your self-confidence and sense of self-worth.
- Create a “You Are Enough” affirmation jar. Get a glass jar or container. Decorate the jar with self-love symbols or quotes. Write positive affirmations on small strips of paper. Then fold and place the affirmations in the jar. Whenever you need a boost, randomly pick an affirmation from the jar and remind yourself that you are enough.
- Write a love letter to yourself. Write a letter to yourself, expressing love and appreciation for who you are. List all the things you love about yourself and read them whenever you need a confidence boost. This can be a powerful exercise in self-acceptance.
- Unfollow social media accounts that make you feel bad. Surround yourself with positivity on your feed.
- Create a self-care routine. Make self-care a priority by creating a routine that includes activities like taking a bath, practicing yoga, or meditating. This can help you feel more relaxed and centered.
- Write in a journal. Take some time each day to write down your thoughts and feelings. This can help you process emotions and gain clarity on what’s important to you.
You might also like: These are the best ways to show up for yourself in life
- Read your favorite quotes every now and then to motivate yourself.
- If you want to know how to be confident and love yourself, connect with your inner child. Remember the things that brought you joy as a kid, and make time to do them again. Whether it’s coloring, playing with Legos, or going to the playground, reconnecting with your inner child can help you feel more lighthearted and carefree. Here are the best journal prompts for healing your inner child.
- Allow yourself to feel a negative emotion. It’s okay to feel sad, angry, or frustrated sometimes. Instead of trying to push these feelings away, acknowledge them and allow yourself to process them in a healthy way.
- Learn to be comfortable in your own skin. This means embracing your body, your personality, and everything that makes you unique. When you feel comfortable in your own skin, you radiate confidence and self-assurance.
- Recognize that self-worth comes from within. You don’t need validation from others to feel good about yourself. By cultivating a strong sense of self-worth, you can feel confident and secure, no matter what other people think.
- Be mindful of your romantic relationships. Make sure you’re in a healthy relationship that supports and uplifts you, rather than one that brings you down or makes you feel unworthy.
- Don’t forget to put self-love on your to-do list. Just like you make time for other important things in your life, it’s important to make time for self-love too. Whether it’s taking a bubble bath or simply taking time to do something you enjoy, make sure you prioritize self-love and remind yourself that you are worthy of love and all the good things life has to offer.
- Surround yourself with positive people who support your journey of self-love. You don’t need anyone in your life who brings you down or makes you feel unworthy.
- Write down your goals and aspirations, and then take steps every day to work towards them. When you’re living your best version of yourself, you’ll feel more fulfilled and happy. Here’s the only life and goal planner that you need to achieve everything.
- Remember that you are in control of your own happiness.
- For young women and teen girls, it’s important to remember that the concept of self-love is a lifelong journey. Start building a foundation of self-love now, and it will pay off in the long run.
- Challenge every negative thought by asking yourself if it’s true or if it’s a false belief.
- Take a deep breath and center yourself when you’re feeling overwhelmed or stressed.
- Build a positive attitude by focusing on the good in yourself and others, no matter what.
- Take time to reflect on the amazing things you’ve accomplished in the past and use that as motivation to keep moving forward.
- Don’t be too harsh on yourself if you’re going through a hard time. Remember that it’s okay to ask for help.
- Set boundaries in every unhealthy relationship (if you can’t quit them) and prioritize your emotional state.
- To fully incorporate self-love 101 into your life, take care of your physical health, as the brain regions responsible for positive emotions can be activated by exercise and healthy eating habits.
- Remember that you are a good person, and treat yourself with the kindness and compassion that you deserve.
- The most important thing is to love and accept yourself for who you are, flaws and all.
You might also like: How to start a self-love journey and succeed at it
- Don’t be afraid to seek professional help if you’re struggling with low self-esteem or other mental health issues.
- Celebrate even the little things. Take time to appreciate small accomplishments and milestones, no matter how insignificant they may seem. Celebrating these moments can help boost your self-esteem and make you feel more confident in yourself.
- Take a break when needed. It’s okay to take a step back and take some time for yourself, especially on bad days. This can help you recharge and come back with full power.
- Practice spiritual growth. Whether it’s through meditation, prayer, or a spiritual practice, taking time to connect with your spiritual side can have a positive impact on your emotional health and overall well-being.
- Learn from past experiences. Use past experiences as a learning opportunity. Reflect on what you learned and how you can use that knowledge to grow and improve.
- Find out your bra size. Get measured. If you’re not sure about your bra size, visit a lingerie store and have a professional measure you. Knowing your correct size can help you feel more confident and comfortable in your clothing.
- Create a self-love playlist. Put together a playlist of songs that make you feel empowered, confident, and happy. Use this playlist to lift your mood and boost your spirits whenever you need a little self-love.
- Create a self-love jar. Write down all the things you love about yourself, your accomplishments, and your goals on small pieces of paper and put them in a jar. Whenever you’re feeling down or need a boost of self-love, pull out a piece of paper and remind yourself of your strengths.
- Host a self-love day. Plan a day or evening to celebrate yourself and all that you’ve accomplished. It could be as simple as a bubble bath and a glass of champagne or a full-blown party with your closest friends. The goal is to celebrate yourself and everything that makes you unique.
- Create a self-love altar. Choose a special spot in your home and create a self-love altar. Include items that make you feel happy and inspired, such as photos of loved ones, crystals, flowers, or anything else that brings you joy. Take a few moments each day to sit at your altar and reflect on all of the things you love about yourself.
- A self-love treasure box. Create a special box filled with items that make you feel loved and special, such as photos of loved ones, love letters, or small gifts to yourself. Use this box as a reminder to practice self-love and take care of yourself.
Did you find any new tips in this self-love 101?
What tips would you give someone who’s wondering how to have self-love for themselves? What are your favorite self-love practices?
I’m a personal growth and self-care expert, as well as an avid motorcycle enthusiast and coffee and sweets lover. Through Lauraconteuse, I provide insightful and practical advice on topics such as self-care, self-love, personal growth, and productivity, drawing from my very own extensive experience and knowledge in the field. My blog has helped countless people achieve their goals and live more fulfilling lives, and my goal is to continue to inspire and empower others.